Baptistry

Baptistry

The Chapel of Saint John the Theologian is located in Skala, close to the port’s waterfront; next to it there are the preserved ruins of building, which during the Early Christian period was used as a «baptistry». According to tradition, this is where Saint John the Theologian baptized the Patmians, while another tradition mentions that this is where the Saint stood when he banished the magician Kynops (or Kenepsi) to the bottom of the sea. The Chapel of Saint John is joined to a smaller chapel dedicated to Saint Polycarpos.

Source (in Greek): http://www.patmosmonastery.gr/index.php/monastiriakoi-naoi/82-agios-ioannis-o-theologos-skalas-vaptistirion

You might also like

Sights

Nikolaides Mansion

Two – storey building with Gothic features, Nikolaides Mansion was built between 1705 and 1796 in Chora of Patmos and is a typical example of the urban architecture of the

Sights

The Rock of “Kallikatsou”

According to the legend, the Stone of Kallikaltsou is nothing but the curse of a mother that was really effective: Lured by the beautiful sea of ​​the bay, having just

Sights

Holy Chapels

Holy Chapels Telephone Photos Agioi Anargiri (11th century) – Ag. Panteleimon Chiliomodiou (16th  century ) – Osios Christodoulos Alikon (17th  century ) 2247032994 Ag. Georgios tou Avlakiou (17th  century )