Monastery Zoodochos Pigi

Monastery Zoodochos Pigi

The Nunnery “Zoodochos Pigi” is located southwest of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian in Chora and was founded in 1607 by the Abbot of the Monastery of St. John the Theologian, Parthenios Pagkostas, who dedicated it to Virgin Mary (Zoodochos Pigi) and to Saint John the Theologian. The destination of the Monastery was to function as a refuge for widows, orphans and disabled people.

The church is decorated with murals from the 16th to the 18th century, while its winged altarpieces have wood carvings dating back to the 16th century.

The icon of Panagia Eleousa in the church of the monastery is considered miraculous and the first recorded miracle is dated in 1956. A small museum with sacred vessels opened in 2007 in the monastery. The monastery celebrates every first Friday after Easter.

  • The monastery can be visited daily from 08:00 to 12:00 am and from 5:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Except Saturday evenings)
  • Telephone: (+ 30) 2247020800

You might also like

Sights

Port of Skala – Life center of the island

Patmos has evolved into a cosmopolitan destination, while keeping at the same time the mystical atmosphere, with the port of Skala being the center of the island life. The port

Sights

Holy Annunciation Monastery

The Monastery of the Annunciation, the largest nunnery on the island ,is located in the southwestern part of the island and it has an outstanding view of the bay of

Sights

The Windmills of Patmos

The windmills of Chora Built in the east of the Holy Monastery of Patmos, on the top of the hill with view of the sea, the three windmills of Chora