The only port of the island, Skala, is the picturesque tourist center of the island: the point of arrival, but also the point of several excursions to all the beaches and sights of Patmos as well as of trips to the islets Arki and Marathi. It is also the largest and most populated settlement with 1,415 residents, and a place with all public services of Patmos, except for the Town Hall, which is located in Chora, shops, banks, and a wide variety of cafes, snack bars, restaurants, taverns, hotels and rooms to let. It is in Skala where the heart of the nightlife of the island beats: bars and clubs with live music are open until dawn, proving that Skala combines everything, moreover because of the fact that in the northern part of the harbor, there is a marina for docking yachts and sailing boats.

Skala was in the 16th century, one of the most important ports in the Mediterranean, offering safe anchorage in Patmian ships (mostly monastic) and foreign ships, but because of the fear of pirate raids, the buildings of that time were almost exclusively warehouses and workshops. From the late 18th century, however, and the installation of various families, Skala is converted to commercial and maritime center, contributing to the economic prosperity of the island and thus to the literature and the arts. Today, the port of Skala, built in 1972 during the dictatorship, continues to be an economic pole in the development of the island, a fairway to the world, and also the point from where all roads to the mainland and to all directions start.

Because of its position as a seaport, and the existence of land to build due to its relative “youth”, besides the eucalyptus, Skala has a strong influence by the architecture of the Italian occupation of the Dodecanese, exemplified by the so-called “Italian Building” on the waterfront. Other attractions in the area are the Baptistery of St. John and the site of the ancient acropolis at Kastelli hill. Furthermore, within walking distance from Skala, on the road to Grikos, is the church of Agia Paraskevi, built in the 17th century on the foundations of an ancient temple, and on the hill of Panagias Koumanas, just across the harbor, is the seat of Panagia Koumana which dates back to the 17th century.

You might also like


Monastery of St. John the Theologian

In 1088 in Patmos, St. Christodoulos the Latrinos , a gifted and educated monk from Bithynia, was granted funds by Imperial Decree (Chrysovoula /Golden Seal) by the Byzantine Emperor Alexios

Municipality Of Patmos


Marathi (or Marathos) is an island of Dodecanese and belongs to the island chain of Arki. The island, even though it is small, with an area of ​​only 355 acres

Patmos Island

Patmias School

In 1713, along with the spiritual growth and bloom of the letters from the Greek Orthodox of the Ottoman Empire, came the foundation of Patmias School. Patmias School was founded