The Italian Building (Skala)

The Italian Building (Skala)

Built in 1932, by order of the Italian Governor Mario Lago to house the barracks of the Constabulary, the Post, the Customs and its warehouses, the “Italian Building”, as it is called today, is located in the central square of Skala.

With a rectangular shape that encloses two inner courtyards, its facades have a number of openings of various shapes inspired by the Italian medieval decor, while in the facade of the square there is a gallery with arches. In its corner lies an imposing two-storey square tower.

The Italian building is a typical Italian architectural monument of the era of the Italian occupation in the Dodecanese (1912-1943), and today it houses the Police Department of Patmos, the Customs, the Post and various municipal services of the island.

 

You might also like

Sights

The Windmills of Patmos

The windmills of Chora Built in the east of the Holy Monastery of Patmos, on the top of the hill with view of the sea, the three windmills of Chora

Patmos Island

The Windmills of Patmos

Europa Nostra, created in 1963 in collaboration with the European Union, constitutes a pan-European citizen’s movement for the safeguarding of Europe’s cultural and natural heritage. Since 1978, Europa Nostra awards

Patmos Island

Monastery of St. John the Theologian

In 1088 in Patmos, St. Christodoulos the Latrinos , a gifted and educated monk from Bithynia, was granted funds by Imperial Decree (Chrysovoula /Golden Seal) by the Byzantine Emperor Alexios